We spend a lot of time on the GirlU Blog talking about the importance of a healthy diet to help mitigate symptoms of PMS because, let’s face it, you are what you eat and what you eat matters.
Here is how a balanced diet can help with an assist from Epicurious.com and some easy recipes for one dinner! The delicious GirlU dinner menu is Jamaican Jerk Salmon with Mango, Pineapple Salsa with sides of Sautéed Spinach and Brown Rice.
Will this dinner “cure” you of your PMS symptoms? Probably not. One salmon dinner can’t stop the hormonal fluctuations going on inside you! But, will a steady habit of good food choices help you maintain better balance of important vitamins, minerals and nutrients and ease hormonal fluctuations? Probably!
Look at the major ingredients from these recipes as examples of why good food choices matter.
- Salmon Omega-3 Fatty Acids to help ease bloating
- Mango Vitamin A for clear, glowing skin
- Pineapple Bromelain is muscle relaxing and Manganese reduces irritability, decreases menstrual flow
- Black Beans Fiber alleviates water retention
- Spinach Iron helps keep blood sugar in check, which keeps emotions in check and Magnesium reduces stress, lifts mood, helps regulate serotonin, fights bloating
- Brown Rice Vitamin B6 helps alleviate mood swings and fatigue
Each of these foods has many other important vitamins and minerals in them that do other important things to support health in other parts of your body.
Add a tall glass of cucumber-infused water and you will have added quercetin, which helps fight bloating, and treat yourself to a glass of red wine and some dark chocolate squares for dessert and you will have added antioxidants.
Cheers to making good food choices!